How to send Email Newsletters
“Hurry! Free Shipping on purchases above Rs. 500”
“Shopping is Fun! Upto 60% off on Diwali accessories!”
“Great price!!! T-shirts starting at Rs.350. Limited Period Offer.”
Don’t these subject lines get you all excited to go shop! Oh come on, who doesn’t love to open their inboxes to exciting emails telling you about an ongoing sale at your favourite store? ;-)
Give your customers the same pleasure! Make them anxiously await your next sale, your next bazaar or your new collection. And let’s not limit spreading the excitement to your customers alone! Send out these details to your prospective clients too. Let them also know about the action they have been missing so far!
There are 2 sure shot ways to spread the word about your brand, in as inexpensive a way as possible. One of them is sending out regular email marketing newsletters. And the other is Social Media. Email marketing is the cheapest and probably the most effective marketing tool at your disposal.
We told you how sending out regular newsletters to new potential customers can help you increase your online sales. Now let’s have a look at how you can create these newsletters using popular email marketing apps.
There are a lot of competitive email marketing apps at your disposal. And almost all of them have free pricing plans, so they don’t burn a big hole in your marketing pocket. But they all vary depending on the number of subscribers you are allowed and how many mails you can send out every month.
Below is a list of a few popular email marketing apps, and their comparison on the basis of their free pricing plan. You can choose which app suits your needs the best, depending upon how many people you intend to sent your newsletters to. Apart from the 2 criteria shown below, there are a lot of other features that almost all these apps offer – like free ready design templates, Facebook integration, reports and analytics and A/B split testing.
|Email Marketing Apps||No. of Emails||No. of Subscribers|
|Mail Chimp||12000/ Month||2000|
|Send Grid||200/ Day||Unlimited|
|Imnica Mail||6000/ Month||Unlimited|
|Mad Mimi||12500/ Month||2500|
(Follow the links above to check out their other pricing plans)
Now let’s see how you can create newsletters for your brand using one of the more popular apps, Mail Chimp, in 15 steps.
1. Sign up and create a free account for your business on Mail Chimp. After you sign up, you will be asked to activate your account, for which you can follow the instructions on the screen.
2. You will be asked to enter a few details before you can proceed. Like security questions for account verification, your address, etc. Fill out all the details and proceed.
3. Once on your dashboard at Mail Chimp, go the Create A List to build up your email subscribers list for your newsletter.
Once there, you will be asked to enter a few details about your list.
4. After creating your list, you will need to add your subscribers to the list. Click on the Tools option at the extreme right of your list and you can Import, Add or Delete your subscribers. Click on the option to Import your subscribers.
5. There are a lot of ways to upload your subscribers list. You can either upload a CSV file from your computer, copy/paste a list from excel or import a list from another web service.
Assuming you wish to send newsletters to all your customers who have signed up on your online store - download your customer list from your Zepo dashboard and create a CSV of the same. To upload the same, go to the Upload from File option.
6. Map your columns in the CSV to the preferred format on Mail Chimp. Look at the screen shot below to get a better idea of what is to be done.
7. Mail Chimp will verify your list to inform you about the deliverability of your mailing list, from verifying emails to checking out for blank spaces in the CSV. You will be able to see the following message displayed on your screen. Depending on how long your list is, this process can take some time.
8. Once you are done with creating your list, you can go ahead with creating your first newsletter campaign. To do so, click on Create your First Campaign tab.
9. You have plenty of options on how you wish to proceed. You can either create an HTML email newsletter with a plain text version or create a simple plain text email.
We will continue with creating the old conventional newsletters with a Regular Ol’ Campaign option. Once selected, you will be asked to select anyone of your subscribers list, to which you wish to send out this particular newsletter to. Choose your email list and carry forward.
10. You will then be brought to your Campaign Dashboard from where you can create, edit and design your newsletter, according to your whim and fancies. Once you have setup your campaign, you can proceed to the design phase.
11. Mail Chimp gives you extensive options on how you can design your newsletter. You can choose from a variety of ready-made templates or create your own using HTML, whichever suits you better.
12. To avoid too much work, you can choose from one among the many available free template options. Choose the one that appeals to you the most and go ahead with writing your content and designing it according to your choice.
13. Once you have selected your template, you are taken a step ahead on your design dashboard. At this stage you can add content, format colors and the font in your newsletter and add images. You can preview and test your newsletter while you make it.
14. Once all is said and done, you are all ready to shoot out your newsletter. You can either choose to send it immediately or you can schedule it at a later date and time (for ex. - to coincide with a sale that you are planning).
15. After you’ve sent out your newsletters, you can go check out the stats of your newsletter to see how is it performing – what is the CTR, how many opens have you had, etc.
Go ahead! Create your first newsletter campaign and drop us a comment below to tell us how it worked out.
Happy Marketing! :-)
PS. If you don’t want to go through all the above motions of creating a newsletter, and would rather send out personal email newsletters, TinyLetter is the sure thing for you. With TinyLetter, you can send an email blast to an unlimited number of newsletter subscribers and lets them reply back to you, without ever knowing your email id. And it’s as easy as using Gmail.